Aacceptable Use Policy for the Hamblen County Schools Educational Network . The purpose of the Hamblen County Schools Educational Network is to support research, collaboration, and education to benefit your and your students by providing access to unique resources. Through your computer network connections you are connected to the Internet and other world-wide research and educational networks. Your access is conditional on your responsible use of the computer facilities and maintaining security. Use for other purposes is not acceptable. Computers and networks can provide access to local resources, as well as the ability to communicate with other users worldwide. Such open access is a privilege and requires that individual users act responsibly. Users must respect the rights of other users, respect the integrity of the systems and related physical resources, and observe all relevant laws, regulations, and contractual obligations. All existing laws (federal and state) and Hamblen County Schools Educational Network regulations and policies apply, including not only those laws and regulations that are specific to computers and networks, but also those that may apply generally to personal conduct, including common courtesy. To obtain a computer account you must agree to adhere to the following guidelines:
- Security on the network is extremely important and is the responsibility of each network participant. Do not reveal your password to anyone or allow anyone access to your computer account without supervision. If you wish your students to use the network, access your account yourself and supervise the students carefully. Make sure that you log out at the end of the session. Do not attempt to "Hack" or obtain unauthorized access to other computers or accounts. Do not intentionally use the computer network in a way that will harm other computers or data. Any attempt to do so will be treated as intentional vandalism and will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and the policies of the Hamblen County Board of Education.
- Uncensored material among the vast and valuable resources on the Internet is some material that is not suitable for school-aged children. This material is not a part of the TEN computer files nor the Hamblen County Schools Educational Network computer files, but because of the Internet's complex web of connections there is no way to block access to this material. This is another reason not to give anyone (especially students) unsupervised access to your account. Misuse of computing, networking, or information resources will result in loss of computing privileges. Additionally, misuse can be prosecuted under applicable statutes. Illegal reproduction of software protected by U.S. Copyright Law is subject to civil damages and criminal penalties including fines and imprisonment.
Examples of misuse include, but are not limited to, the activities in the following list:
- Using a computer account, other than yours, that you are not authorized to use.
- Obtaining a password for a computer account, other than yours.
- Using the Hamblen County Schools Educational Network to gain unauthorized access to any computer systems.
- Knowingly performing an act which will interfere with the normal operation of computers, terminals, peripherals, or networks is vandalism.
- Knowingly running or installing on any computer system or network or giving to another user a program intended to damage or to place excessive load on a computer system or network. This includes, but is not limited to, programs known as computerviruses, Trojan horses, and worms.
- Attempting to circumvent data protection schemes or take advantage of security loopholes for inappropriate uses.
- Violating terms of applicable software licensing agreements or copyright laws.
- Deliberately wasting computing resources such as, but not limited to: leaving unattended processes running, downloading, transferring and/or storing material that might be considered to be sexually explicit or copyrighted.
- Using electronic mail to harass others including, but not limited to, the use of vulgar or offensive language and terms.
- Masking the identity of an account or machine.
- Posting materials on electronic bulletin boards that violate existing laws or the Hamblen County Schools Educational Network's codes of conductt.
- Chain letters would constitute misuse of the network. "Broadcasting" messages to lists or individuals which would cause congestion of the networks or otherwise interfere with the work of others are not allowed. Ê The administrators and operators of this system shall be the sole judges of the appropriateness of actions of users and materials on this system. Their decisions are final. If you have questions regarding fair use, forward your questions to the Department of Technology.
Remember to be consistent with the goals and purposes of the networks. Such access is a privilege and requires that individual users act responsibly.