How Do I Become a Substitute Teacher/Substitute Training Information
Required Training for Substitute Teachers
Substitute teacher training classes are from 9:00 am until noon at the Hamblen County Board of Education. Attendance is mandatory to be added to the substitute teacher list. The next training date is Monday, January 8, 2024. Please register below.
STEPS TO BECOMING A SUBSTITUTE TEACHER FOR HAMBLEN COUNTY SCHOOLS:
*Please bring all required documents with you to the training session.
1. Complete the online application for substitute teacher (go to Apply for Employment).
2. Attend a substitute teacher training session.
3. Applicants must provide proof of Employment Eligibility by bringing a copy of the following:
*Valid Driver's License, AND *Social Security Card OR *Birth Certificate
4. Applicants must provide a copy of their high school diploma, G.E.D., or college transcripts.
5. Substitutes are required to be fingerprinted for a background check. Background check reports must be approved by the superintendent prior to being added to the substitute list. More information regarding this process will be provided during the substitute teacher training class.
6. We now require all employees to utilize Direct Deposit. Please bring a Voided Check or a Direct Deposit Form from your bank.
Register here: New Substitute Teacher Training
*NOTE: If the registration link is not working, please call 423-586-7700 to register.
Daily pay rate for the 2023-24 school year:
Retired HCBOE- $155
*Please Note: In the event of schools being closed due to inclement weather, the substitute training session will be canceled and rescheduled. If school is on a delay, the substitute training session will proceed as planned.
For all other substitute roles, please contact Human Resources.
If you have questions, please contact the Human Resource Office at 423-585-3711.